Where things stood
When we rolled early on September 4, we collected $17.75 net and extended the position out to September 25. At the time SOUN was at $6.67 — close to the $6.50 strike but not uncomfortably so, and the roll was opportunistic rather than defensive.
That changed heading into last week. By September 22 SOUN had drifted down to $6.15 — now $0.35 below the $6.50 strike with only three days left on the position. At that point the Sep 25 put was worth $0.41, meaning we'd collected $0.30 to open and the position had moved against us.
The decision to roll again
With $0.35 to recover in three days, expiring worthless was still possible but not comfortable. The question is always the same: do we want to own this stock right now at $6.50?
Not particularly. SOUN at $6.15 isn't a disaster — we've held this name through worse — but taking assignment right now would mean buying 100 shares at $6.50 when the market is pricing them at $6.15. That's an immediate $35 paper loss on the stock before we even sell the first covered call. One more week of runway costs us nothing if SOUN can find its footing.
The elevated premium on the October put — $0.48 versus the $0.30 we originally collected when we opened the Sep 25 leg — reflects the current uncertainty in SOUN's price. Higher implied volatility when the stock is near the strike means the new position is worth more than it would be on a calm day. That's the same dynamic that made our September 4 early roll attractive.
The roll breakdown
The net credit of $5.75 is modest — the $0.07 gross difference doesn't leave much after the $1 commission to open. But the value here isn't the $5.75 itself. It's buying SOUN a week to recover from $6.15 back above $6.50 without us having to own the shares.
This position has been rolled multiple times now. SOUN has not been cooperative, and each roll adds a small credit while the underlying question — will this stock recover above $6.50 — remains unanswered. We're not rolling indefinitely. If SOUN can't find its footing by October 2, we'll evaluate taking assignment and moving to the covered call phase, or closing the position outright.
Where we stand
The overall challenge is still healthy — account up 22.4% from the $500 start. SOUN has been the story of this challenge since June, and one way or another October 2 is going to force a decision. We'll update when it happens.
Track Every Roll — Free on TraderVoila
See your running cost basis and total premium collected across every put and roll — automatically.
Open Wheel Tracker